Thursday, May 26, 2011

And the word is... Mess

A few months back, I heard a song that was perfect for what I felt. Granted, the song is old and I had heard it once or twice before, but I had never listened to it. The lyrics are so strong on their own, but when coupled with my emotions and current state of pushing through and beating the negative in my life, they become indescribable. Instead of trying to describe the song, I thought you may prefer to listen to it....



So while this song is obviously about a break up, being replaced, and feeling slighted, I also like to apply the message to life in general. Yeah, we can all be that bitter, hurting person over a break up, but is that the only mess in life? What about when our car breaks down? When someone dies? The rent is here, but the money isn’t? We get sick? When the grocery store is out of 2% milk? You get the picture.

In life, there are so so many messes we have to deal with. It seems like there isn't a broom or vacuum large enough to clean it all away, to make it all disappear. Well, who says it has to? Why not... make something beautiful out of it?

Over the past several months, I have realized that through the messes in life, can come the most beautiful things. You see, we do not go through the hard times in life to be beaten down and crushed, to give up, or be defeated. No, the trials in life are not the end, but merely the beginning. Let me speak personally for a moment.

For me, the past few months of what I thought was the worst course of events, the burst blood vessels in my face and eyes from weeping, the weight lose from not eating, the shattered heart from losses of every kind, the low grades that I thought for sure would forever change my future... all these things and so many more "messes" have proven to be the most beautiful, beneficial thing to every happen to me. Sure, at the time I didn't know if I would live through it, but now my life is most amazing because of it. I have a deeper appreciation for my life, the lives of others, my love, the love from others, the sunny days and the pouring rains. I may have been at the lowest point in my life, but using that moment as a springboard, I have soared to a metaphorical high I have never known. It is only, though, because of that rock bottom springboard that I am where I am now. Figuratively, my life was a mess, now I am able to smile because of it, quite literally.

Just to give a visual representation of more of what I mean, I got some pictures of beautiful art work. This isn't just any art though. No, these expressions of beauty are made from trash, garbage... mess. So whether it be a home, a sculpture, photo, or dress, true beauty can, and does come from mess.

Your life shattering? Quick! Take a picture!

You're never to messy to praise...

Who knew M&M wrappers could be so beautiful?

Extra! Extra! There's beauty awaiting...

Even crushed cans can be used to build the walls of safety and joy


Pretty cool, huh? Who knew that trash and messes could yield such beauty? Oh, that's right, I did. How? Because I had to go through it first. It was only after going through those messes that I learned to appreciate them.

So you see a big mess ahead? No biggy. Just remember that sometimes the biggest smiles come from the biggest messes.....

If these kids can do it, can't we?


No comments:

Post a Comment