Friday, February 11, 2011

And the word is... Cookies


DING DONG!!!!!!!! 


Ohhhhh, that's right! It's GIRL SCOUT COOKIE TIME!!! Mmmm Mm MM! Now, I know that deciding which cookie can be very intimidating, but have no fear! I have the answer: buy one of every kind! Okay, I know that would be nice, but seriously, here are my picks...


Number 1: Samoas
I know there has been some debate over what to call these delicious little nuggets of cookie Heaven, but have no fear. If you simply tell your little lady saleswoman you want the best tasting cookie she sells, she will know you mean the ever-so-famous Samoas! To anyone who doesn't know what this cookie is, you may know it by its more politically-correct name of Caramel deLites. Eh, it may be PC, but does it really have the same ring to it? Who cares! Honestly, after your first taste of this sweet cookie covered in a special blend of toasted coconut and caramel drizzled with chocolate, you will understand why last year, I bought 8 extra boxes and put them in my freezer. Yes. I went out and found the last 8 boxes of Samoas in the 757 area and froze them. That way, I can have the best cookies at my birthday party. I can rub it in people's faces that I still have delicious Samoas to last me throughout the winter. Seriously, there is hardly anything better than a cup of extra hot chocolate with fluffy marshmallows and a plate of delicious, freshly unthawed Samoas on a snowy day! I mean, take a look and tell me this doesn't look amazing:



But it doesn't stop there. If you are anything like me, you love you some ice cream. Well, how can it get much better than Samoas Ice Cream?? Yeah... it can't.


I almost flipped out when I found this ice cream last year. Needless to say, I had a nice little stock pile going for a month or two after this jewel sold out.

When it comes to Girl Scout Cookies, when in doubt, buy the purple box!!



Number 2: Thin Mints
So technically, according to the nice people over at the Girl Scout's head office, Thin Mints are the most popular. For me, a mere second place. They are so absolutely delicious though that, like the Samoas, I like to stock up and keep a hefty supply ready. Who can resist a minty treat that isn't too sweet, yet is still good enough to make you feel a little guilty? Not me! This delectable mint chocolate cookie is smothered in a rich, dark chocolate coating that gives you the best of two worlds: Mint and Chocolate.



Looking for a new way to drink that hot chocolate? We've all tried dropping candy canes into the mix, but why settle for generic when you can have specialty? I guarantee you that next time you serve your guests a piping hot cup of Thin Mint Hot Chocolate, they won't soon forget. Just be prepared to be the permanent hot chocolateer.


We all live in a "Go Green" culture now, so why should it be any different when it comes to Girl Scout Cookies? Take the green initiative and grab the green box!




Number 3: Tagalongs
Not to be confused with the not-so-delicious Do-Si-Do's, the Tagalong cookie is a perfect choice for buyers of all types. Yes, all types. Even those of us with allergies to one of the key ingredients. Fellow sufferers of peanut allergies, I urge you to suck it up and eat some Tagalongs! Seriously, at least if you go, you'll die just having eaten the third best Girl Scout Cookie ever made. This cookie is layered with fluffy peanut butter and then covered in chocolate. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. Peanut Butter. Chocolate. Peanut Butter. Chocolate. Cookies!



Not a fan of eating these cookies by themselves? Then take a cue from some of the hundreds of recipes that call for Tagalongs! Cheesecakes, tortes, pies, Bundt cakes, cupcakes, brownies... pretty much any recipe that calls for peanut butter and chocolate can use a few Tagalongs! Why settle for normal, when you can Girl Scout-ize it!

The only time you should be seeing red is when you buy your red box of Tagalongs!



 ***


So, there they are. My top three picks when it comes to Girl Scout Cookies. But hey, why settle for one? Like I said, just go with all three! When you're helping such a noble cause, you can spend a little more and eat a little more, and still feel good about yourself. Go! Order your Girl Scout Cookies today before they are all sold out!!

And just a side note: I would like to remind you all that I am a broke, homesick, hungry University student. Should you feel the urge to love me, help me, or cheer me up, feel free to send me a box or two... or three... or a dozen! Seriously. You know what my three favorite flavors are now. You have no excuses not to send me some Girl Scout Cookies this year!

Please go to http://www.girlscoutcookies.org/ and order those cookies today!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I have the EXACT same top 3. I bought one of each from the girl who lives across the street.

    (And true story - I got a call from her mother saying they couldn't find my house to drop of the cookies. D'oh!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope you got those cookies!! We were in Newdos rehearsal tonight and everyone had their boxes delivered... I thought I may cry because I didn't buy any.... so I sent my mom a text and told her to save me and get some "samoas, samoas, samoas, thin mints, thin mints, and tagalongs" hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just like to say that I got a box of Samoas.... something is different this year. The chocolate is much lighter.... they don't taste the same :(

    ReplyDelete