Wednesday, February 2, 2011

And the word is... Shadow

Do you remember how back when we were kids, we would have contests to see who could make the best animal with shadows? Or if you were really creative, you and your friends or siblings would put on entire puppet shows?

Well, a few weeks back, I was cleaning my room (yeah - I can't believe it either!) and, of course, listening to my Burlesque soundtrack. As I walked across the room, I realized the sun was in the perfect spot to cast a shadow on the closet doors. How could I pass this up?? I grabbed my camera and just danced. Nothing crazy, just a little improv to the music. I was so excited because I just knew it was going to be the next viral video to sweep the world off its feet. Well, not quite viral, but I did get over 100 views in the first two days! Yes... I'm lame. So what? I'm lame and I like to dance!



So I get this great idea that I will keep recording these improv shadow dances and post them on Youtube, Facebook, and -of course- my blog (so that my massive group of six... six... followers can enjoy them) in hopes someone would like it, smile, and pass it on. So the next day, at a slightly different time, I am ready. I have no clue what song to do, but I am ready. Not nearly as good, in my opinion, this was the outcome of dance number two:




So, I was riding high. I was going to be like Famos Amos... ya know- just not for cookies, but for shadow dancing. Then, when I went to upload my videos, I made the mistake of searching for other shadow dancers. POPthere went my bubble.
I came across a group called Pilobolus. Now, I am not going to post their videos, because they already have like 600,000+ views on every single video of them. I mean, I'm here to get views on my videos... not their videos. But still do feel free to look them up. I have never seen such an amazing act in my life. Anything from trees to elephants to dogs to the Statue of Liberty to penguins and even Conan O'Brien's face! This group is amazing. As amazing as they are, they stole my dream. And you know what else? Who told Mother Nature to keep doing what she does? I mean c'mon, Mother, I wanted to record myself dancing with your son, Sun, but you just keep making the earth spin. Well, thanks, Mother. Thank you so very freakin' much. After only two days, the sun no longer shined into my house. You know what that means? No more shadow dancing until next January.


Well, you, Mother Nature, and all my dedicated followers just hang on tight because I will record more of these gems. I'm just looking for the right flood light and a big white sheet. So just wait... oh you just wait!


Sometimes old things are the best. Here's an old instruction guide to some cool shadow animals!


No comments:

Post a Comment