Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kentucky Derby? No. Kentucky Pie

So no horses, but tonight is still all about the gamble - not for me, but for whoever is brave enough to try my Kentucky Pie!


A couple weeks ago, I was visiting my Granny and Grandad. You don't know much about them, but for now, all you really need to get is that I love them both so much and as time goes on, their health continues to decline. (Congratulations. You've already got me ballin' my eyes out.) For some reason, probably because I hadn't eaten all day long, all our conversations revolved around food. Now, you need to understand that Granny isn't just another old lady. She's an old lady who knows how to cook!


For as far back as I can remember until just a year or two ago, Granny cooked a feast every single Saturday for each of her children (until 2004 it was 6, then 5 in 2007) and their kids and their kids. There would be so much food that there was no room for your dinner plate! Seriously. We would cram 7 or 8 people at the table and after they were done came "the next shift" of eaters. Every once in a while, there would even be THREE shifts! Anyways, my point is that even after all those people ate, there was still leftovers for every family. CRAZY!


So there's a quick trip down Memory Lane... have no fear, we'll be down that road again soon. But now, back to pie.


As I said, we were all talking about food and Granny started talking about one of her favorite desserts from when she was younger: Kentucky Pie. She went on and on about how she loved it. So, you know me, I decided to make it for her. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and even though we're going out to Golden Corral, I AM BAKING KENTUCKY PIE, BABY! Okay, maybe I should also clarify that I am taking it to the house after our dinner (or lunch or whatever you call a meal at 2:00pm).


One more story about this pie and then I'm done. I promise.


Today, as I pushed through the throngs of people in the grocery store on the day before FOOD.... er.. I mean, the day before we give thanks for the blessings in our life, I got a call from my mom. For some reason, it had completely slipped our minds that Granny can't eat nuts or seeds. Thank you, diverticulitis. I have never broken down in tears in Food Lion before today. So.... I left. Just.... left. Fast forward a few hours and thanks to some heart-felt encouragement, I have a Kentucky Pie. And guess what? Even if Granny can't eat it, I'm giving it to her. I'm giving it to her and it is going to be just as sweet as the pie itself. "Why do that?" you may ask.


Why not? This is what the holidays are all about! Truthfully, I couldn't care less about the way this pie tastes tomorrow. The important thing is that along with pecans, chocolate, and bourbon (shhhhh), it is packed full of love and spirit.


We hear it so often that the holidays are a time for love and giving and peace and harmony. Well let me tell you, don't knock it 'till you try it! Love. Giving. Peace. Harmony. Selflessness. Sincerity.


Like me, you may not be a betting man, but I can gaurantee you that this is one bet you won't regret. It is a gauranteed winner. So, bring on the Kentucky horses... but they can't touch my Kentucky Pie!






Oh! And if you're wondering how it turned out, feast your eyes on my first Kentucky Pie...



No comments:

Post a Comment