Tuesday, December 7, 2010

And the word is... Stinkbug

Oh my! What on earth is that smell??
It smells like someone died and was burried in their moldy gym clothes in a coffin made of rotten eggs!

Ok... so it isn't that bad. In fact, to be completely honest, I don't think Stinkbugs are that terribly potent. I mean, get a few of them having a party together and maybe there will be a little odor, but nothing more than a musty attic. Hm. I don't know, maybe I am just immune to them....

In case you don't know what a stinkbug is, let me just say I AM SO JEALOUS! Once they make it to your home, you'll never see the end of them. Just to give you a visual, here is the lovely creature of which I speak:

Ah, yes. Good ol' Halyomorpha halys. He is actually a nice little insect (i.e. a freaking annoying little bugger that eats everything in its path) native to Japan who was introduced to the US only about 6 years ago... so they say, but I seem to remember them for as far back as I can think! Anyways, they snuck over on some cargo ships and landed in Pennsylvania. From there, it has been downhill.

These pests are like rabbits. Just, we can neither eat them, nor sell them in over-priced mall pet shops. No. And what eats them? Oh! That would be.. umm... oh yah... NOTHING! These things have no natural predators in America. There is only one species of wasp in Japan that eats them. I think I speak for all peoples allergic to bee stings when I say, we don't want any more bugs from Japan!! Apparently peacocks sometimes like to make stinkbugs into a quick, crunchy snack, but I don't know what is worse: peacocks screaming and pooping all over my neighborhood or a plague of stinkbugs.

Seriously, people, it is a plague. I thought that once it got colder, they would all freeze and all I would have to worry about was sweeping out a pile of crusty exoskeletons. Nope. So just today, I emptied out a secret stash of goodies and what should my eyes behold in the bottom of this top-secret holder of goodies? A baddie. Yes... a stinkbug. Then tonight, I go into a drawer to pull out some medicine. What do I pull out instead? Yes... a stinkbug. That doesn't even count the time earlier this week I went to put on my shoes and put on... yes... a stinkbug. And just a day before that, I went to grab a glass of water. Instead, a glass with a... yes... stinkbug. C'mon!! How can it be in the 20's outside (it even snowed this week!) and these little monsters still hang around! I am not one to wish harm on anyone or anything, but DIE ALREADY!!!! I am sorry, PETA members. I am all for the ethical treatment of animals, but nature needs to run its course and wipe these little things out!

I am sure that I will keep finding these nasty things all over my bedroom and bathroom, kitchen and living room. Don't even get me started on the Jeep! Complaining about them won't make them go away, but it makes it a little more bearable.

So... thanks for listening... because if you didn't, life would really STINK, BUG!!

2 comments:

  1. So... if you don't think they smell. Try setting up an open top standing lamp. They can't resist them, and it kills them off by the dozens daily.
    Also, you're entire house will have a faint scent of burning feces.

    ...and by faint I mean overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to remember that next year. Although, I really am considering a peacock. ;)

    ReplyDelete