Tuesday, December 21, 2010

And the word is... vent

On your mark. Get set. Vent.


Ok. So I pretty ticked right now and I need to vent. I do not understand how we as human beings can be so focused on ourselves that we neglect our fellow humans. As you all know, my Granny was put into the hospital this weekend. In less than a week, she has gone from a happy and interactive, ever be it extremely sick, woman, to being hooked up to a ventilator in ICU with more tubes than I care to admit. However, this blog is not about her. She deserves better and you better believe the biggest and best blog yet will be soon and be all about her.

So, last week, I decided that once I got back home for the holiday, I would host some friends and we could go caroling and come back to my place and watch some Christmas movies. What better way to get myself in the holiday spirit? None that I could think of! Then, with Granny not doing well in the hospital, I sent out a message to these friends and let them know that Monday night (when the caroling and holiday fun was to be) may have to be postponed or cancelled depending on how things went with Granny. Well, then Monday comes and around 11am I just know there is no chance of me entertaining anyone. Granny had taken yet another turn for the worse and although I really, really needed some cheering up, love, and holiday joy, I just couldn't stand the idea of entertaining people while the rest of the family was in the ICU waiting room. So I did what I had to do and sent everyone (and by that, I mean every person who got the Facebook invite whether they were attending, maybe attending, not attending, or even yet to decide) a message to tell them Granny had gotten even worse and I just couldn't do it. Now, the real kicker. How many people were invited, and thus got the message about Granny? 50. How many people replied to the message in any form? 1.

While I understand that in this state of grieving my emotions are bit intense and sensitive, I also know that this is unacceptable.

How in the world do we expect to achieve "peace on earth" or give "joy to the world" when we remain so ignorant of pain and sorrow in others' lives? I know it is easier to remain ignorant and selfishly continue to live our own lives... yes because I am guilty of it, especially in the past few months. It's just sickening to know that every single day, people around us are suffering and we do nothing about it. Remember the power of a question.

You know what would have been nice tonight? A few more questions. Yeah... because I had one person prove to be one of my best friends. Why? The power of a question. For hours on end, I was asked about how I was doing, if there was anything I needed, how my mom was, how the rest of the family was. Those things, along with a reminder that we sometimes need tough love, changed my night. I was not alone.

"How are you?"
"Do you want some company?"
"Have you eaten? How about I bring you some food."
"Want some coffee or a drink?"
"Does anyone there need a ride anywhere? Maybe to pick up a few things for tonight or something?"
"Did you know that I love you and am thinking of you?"
"Wanna talk?"

Those are some questions I would have loved to have gotten. Those are questions people would love to get. You never know when someone is having a sad moment, bad day, rough week, or life crisis. Maybe that one question will change their outlook on things. Maybe that one question will lead to a life-long friendship. Maybe that question will just make them smile. Who freakin' knows. But, I'll tell you one thing, you'll never know unless you ask and see.

I want to challenge you, ask someone today. Ask them what? you ask. Who cares. Just ask it. Why? Because nobody can comprehend the power of a question. 

In this time of year, everyone is complaining about not being in the spirit of the holiday. Well, then shut up and do something about it! Don't just whine that you aren't jolly... start focusing on making others a little happier and I guarantee that in no time, you will be the jolliest of the jollies. It's all in the power of a question. 

We all want the answers. But, can an answer be an answer without first being a question? Without a question, we have no answers, they do not exist. Ah... the power of a question.

So go. Go ask. Ask now. Ask often. Ask a question and behold the power...



I am really sorry this seems so negative. Sometimes, though, even the most postitive people need a moment of weakness. In this time, I am so completely and utterly wrecked that I just needed to say what I said. I can garauntee that this will not be the last vent session. I can also promise that someone will be offended by this blog. That's okay because our selfish actions offended me first.
This is my blog. I will say what I want and if you don't like it, tough. This is for me and nobody else. Thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment